Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Why didn't I wear boots?

Went to work in my work shoes, shuffling carefully through the snow but still trying to get some speed into it so that I can catch my bus! It wasn't the best experience as the snow was quite thick and my sole is not made for the weather.

I was quite sensible the day before when I went out for a walk in the snow. Had my hiking boots on and they were a joy to walk in, kept my feet nice and warm. Somehow, it just felt wrong to put on my hiking boots for work this morning.

Had the same problem coming back from work. By that time, the snow had turned slushy and it was horrible to walk in. My trousers were soaked from mid-shins down. It's only at this time that I begin to really ask myself, why didn't I wear my boots? (click here for more)

There was so much unconscious resistance that I didn't even consider putting my boots on on a work day. On any other day, I would have put on something sensible just to be prepared for the unpredictable Scottish weather. Has the social conditioning become so strong that it's so difficult to break it, even in the face of common sense?!!

I wonder how much of these excess fat are we carrying due to social conditioning. Similar to body excess fat, social conditioning adds no value at all to our well being but is a burden nevertheless because we're lugging it around, so to speak, by conforming to it. And just like body excess fat, it affects our health!

Can we do away with all the excess fat? Do away with the need to put on a shirt and tie unless you want to? Wear sandals to work just because you feel like it? Better still, can we convert the excess fat into muscle and actually do something that adds value? Like accepting guys who carry handbags? Or accepting girls who choose not to wear a bra?

DECLARATION: I don't personally own a handbag, but I do have a lot of stuff that don't fit in a wallet now, like a mobile phone. It annoys me having it in the pocket because I'm always afraid I might break it. My other pet hate on things in pockets are coins.

Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home