Sunday, March 05, 2006

Losing my house

I've just signed over the deeds to the buyer. That's it, the last straw. Soon, i'll be kicked out of this place. And then, my car will follow, and then my job will follow. Homeless, carless, jobless. Somehow, i feel lighter... (click here for more)

It's strange to suddenly lose all these possessions. The job provides me with money so that i can pay off the debt i owe for my possessions. Such a relationship forces a strong attachment to the job, to maintain that security of money flow. Attachment to the house reinforces the idea that the money flow is important so that i can afford what i want.

With all these attachments disappearing, it's quite a load off. No worries about the next mortgage payment. No worries about being nice in the office and do my work in the office so that I can still keep my job and hopefully keep increasing the pay cheque i receive every month. I can afford to be nasty in the office to people who are nasty to me (although I don't actually do it, but it's nice to know that I have a choice). What I can't afford is the next ipod, or the next mobile phone.

So will you trade your job and your house for that sort of freedom? That sort of peace of mind? Of course, you must know that I'm simply passing the cost of having a roof over my head to my parents (or anyone you choose to stay with). I may not even be able to afford the broadband connection (or the electricity!) to publish this blog! Maybe that's a good thing, so that you won't have to read my blog again to realise I've just wasted another 5 minutes of your time making you read until this very word! ;)

Categories:

3 Comments:

Blogger JARJAR said...

I'm willing to trade all my possesions for the freedom to love. Free to love the person I want to love and no need to consider about his financial situation, whether he could afford my living etc those external factors.

Monday, 06 March, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

Oooh...I don't know. You're making me think really hard about whether I want to go home now! I may relinquish the possessions for the freedom here, but it's not really freedom, is it? It's temporary until I (may) have to return to clutches of a different society and culture, and family commitments. One is never truly free.

Monday, 06 March, 2006  
Blogger Shang Lee said...

Freedom does exist, but ultimate freedom has a price. Be it bearing the stress of being a footballer's wife, or having the ultimate love without food or a place to live in, or missing your favourite chao kueh teow and the smile of your niece.

Is that a price you want to pay? Is that the price you're willing to pay?

Monday, 06 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home