Saturday, March 04, 2006

Need help packing?

I always feel more than adequate to pack my own groceries at the checkout counter. That is, until the last item goes through the "beep" and i need to frantically pack the last few items as they are spun off the conveyor belt, fumble further to get my wallet and some cash from there. All these happening while i try to fend off the impatient eyes gazing at me by the next in line.

Today, the counter boy asked me if I needed help. I only had milk, bread, some cookies (yum!) and eggs. I said I'm ok. I do remember when packing these things used to be a standard service by the supermarket. Just like someone will always be there to pump the petrol into your car. Nowadays, it's all self-service. But what i liked about the situation was how we have actually been given a choice for packing. Or if you're really cynical, how the supermarket has given you the illusion of choice, knowing that you will certainly admit to being more than capable to packing those things yourself.

Kudos to Tescos for having thought of such an ingenious way of empowering customers by reducing staff budget (i.e. not employing someone to pack stuff for you) and yet actually seen to be providing you a helping hand by asking you if you need help packing! It's a win/win/win situation, that is, if you like to be empowered.

So, do you need help packing? Do you prefer someone else pack it for you?
Categories:

5 Comments:

Blogger radicalshift said...

taken a step further it looks like automated self-check where one clerk overlooks 4-6 registers and people are given the illusion of efficiency and empowerment. the store employs way less people, and moves more product faster using free labor. actually those customers are paying for the opportunity to do some of the stores work. it's the "tom sawyer effect" if you will. genius at work.

Sunday, 05 March, 2006  
Blogger radicalshift said...

ps my humble blog is radicalshift.blogspot.com

Sunday, 05 March, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd prefer they have somebody or a machine to pack the groceries for me. "Automation" beats "Self-Empowerment" hands down in this case.

Self-empowerment makes customers feel good, but actually you do more work.

Given a choice, I'd shop my groceries online and have them packed and sent to my doorstep. I just do the most important steps - choosing what I want to buy.

Sunday, 05 March, 2006  
Blogger JARJAR said...

I have no preferance on this. I could pack myself or someone pack for me. I still walk off happily with my goodies. But I do appreciate if they use less plastic bags when they pack for me.

Monday, 06 March, 2006  
Blogger Shang Lee said...

glad to see an environmentalist around here!

Monday, 06 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home