Thursday, March 02, 2006

The annoying coke can

Normal day. Time to go. Found my bus. Head inside. Try to find a quiet seat on the bus. Foot kicked on something, a coke can. Walked ahead. Didn't even give it another thought. And the bus journey begins....(click here for more)

So sleepy. And the head slowly tilt forward, like a fishing rod with a fish on its hook. (i did get a "no fishing" sign in school once, asking me not to fall asleep in class!) Then there's this weird clank. Followed by a gurgle. and a clank. gurgle. clink. gurgle. clank. seems to be in my dream, until i felt a sensation in my foot on the clonk sound. It's the coke can i ignored earlier. And i'm still ignoring it. But it certainly didn't ignore me throughout the bus journey! there goes my sleep...

I was going to pick it up, but think it's dirty/sticky/contents may fall out. Why does no one else pick it up? Maybe for the same reasons i have. Or maybe, it's just none of my business. It's not my coke can. Why should I pick it up? It's not my bus. Why should I clean it? Should the driver be responsible? It's not his bus either. The conductor perhaps? Nope, not his either. Maybe the company should be responsible. But who's "the company"? It's just an entity made up of people working for an objective set by "the company". The company does own the bus though, but the company can't pick up the coke can. Only people can.

Will you pick up the can? Will you pick up anything on the street just so it's a cleaner street? Do you feel compelled to have a clean place to live in or do you feel degraded if you do some cleaning up?

I've chosen not to pick it up on this occasion. Thank goodness my stop is just round the next bend. And just as the bus was turning, the can rolled to me again. If only I can bend it like Beckham and kick the can out the side door. The people around probably won't appreciate the free taste of coke splattering all over them. And you think free stuff is good for you. Nothing is free. People are paid to pick up coke cans. Will you do it for free?

Categories:

2 Comments:

Blogger radicalshift said...

i think that your post here is very insightful. i am inspired by your opening of the pandoras box of accountability. that's really what this coke can issue comes down to. it's not responsability, it's not blame. it recognises that once we see the can, we get to confront accountability. we are giving ourselves free agency, as opposed to playing the victim("not my problem"). i make no assertion that a person is wrong for noticing trash, and choosing not to pick it up. as we become accountable, however, we become inspired to lend a hand when it is appropriate. inside of accountability we are truly free.

Thursday, 02 March, 2006  
Blogger Shang Lee said...

thanks for sharing my insight. i do hope that more of us will be inspired to take action, and that includes me as well!

Thursday, 02 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home