Saturday, February 18, 2006

The A to Z song

When was the last time you tried to remember the order of A to Z? Remember the song you were taught when you were young? Or how your mum or your teacher try to make you remember what comes after the letter P?

I thought i refresh this blog site a bit just for a change. When updating the list of blogs, i thought it was a good idea to list them by A-Z. I didn't think I would find recalling A to Z can be difficult! I wouldn't want to go back to the primary school years again!

But it does remind me of how little do we use the order of A to Z anymore. You don't need to search for a book by A to Z. Just type the book into the search engine and it'll let you know where it is, or the helpful librarian will tell you where the book is. You don't have to go through a list to find what you're looking for. Just search for it and it'll appear. Want to know the meaning of a word you haven't come across before? Forget about the dictionary. Just type the word into an online dictionary and voila, out pops the meaning, and even how to pronounce it!

Will we one day forget the order of A to Z? Just like how we could one day forget how to write again? What about other common activities like driving. Will we forget how to drive one day? Is this the natural evolution of the age of information, where collectively we have a lot of information, but individually we lack information? Are we going to let technology substitute our daily activities, so much so that we have to ask technology how to do a certain thing? like typing into google "What is the order of A to Z?"
Categories:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sum said...

Haha... I do that too! I search the dictionary once in awhile, and everytime I look into it, I always have to start reciting the alphabet! (I don't sing it though... :P )

Another thing I have trouble remembering, is which way is East and which is West. :)

And in Chinese, I have trouble differentiating Left and Right... 左右不分... hahaha.... ;)

Tuesday, 21 February, 2006  
Blogger Shang Lee said...

I have the same problem with East and West too!! is this something innate? i mean, how difficult can it be?! why don't we have the same problem with North and South? hmmm... deep thought.. (i.e. falling asleep...)

Tuesday, 21 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home