Monday, March 13, 2006

Something to remember by

Had a leaving lunch today at the wonderful Riverhouse restaurant. Had a hard time organising it this morning as i had to find out how many was actually here in the office due to the severe weather! The restaurant actually called to ask the very same question, because they're a bit understaffed, and the parking there was snowed in. I was tempted to not go to the office because I was snowed in too! My car couldn't leave the driveway. I saw the neighbours struggling, so I thought i just catch the bus, only to find out that my usual time of leaving the house is leaning on the "late" side...(click here for more)

Shuffling through the snow quickly while maintaining balance, the temptation was certainly getting stronger to not turn up. It's not everyday that i can say that i'm snowed in and not turn up in the office!! I've got to use that excuse at least once in my life!

The lunch got the better of me. After all, it is MY leaving lunch! I can't just not turn up. As i arrived at the office, I was surprised to see my bank of desks actually full of people. Not that many were caught in the snow.

So the lunch went ahead as scheduled. Had deep fried black pudding to start and a medium done steak for mains. It is my first time for a steak, and the company I was with managed to convince me of having it medium done. Luckily it came medium to well done. Although it did get me curious what does medium done taste like!

As we were having our meal, they started asking me what kind of dishes will I miss most in Scotland. I can't say i'm a big fan of oily deep fried food - once in a while is nice, but not all the time. And then they mentioned dessert. I think that I will miss. Had a lovely creme brulee to finish by the way, and boy was I stuffed! The 3 course was just paving way to a lovely afternoon nap (i wish!)

It was all going well when my manager suddenly looked at me from the other table. Uh oh.. something's going to happen. He walked over and asked if i wanted a speech (for me) in a public place. Of course i said no! And he actually obliged! Surprised as I was, another surprise came along - a gift. The wrapping paper was something from the sixties, but the content was a total surprise. I was expecting an inflatable "something" (don't ask why!), just because it was soft and flexible. It was a Scotland rugby shirt! Definitely something to remember Scotland by.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home