Friday, April 21, 2006

Being idle

So you want to be idle? To escape from doing the daily grind of what is more commonly known as "work"? Work takes up half of our lives (if not more) and yet it has such negative subtone to it. I normally hear "Oh.. i've got to go to work" and very seldom hear an upbeat version of "Yay! I'm working on Monday!". If work carries such disgust with it, why are we still doing it? Why are we dedicating the best part of our lives to it when we could be doing something else more meaningful?... (think of your answer before you click here for more)

Is money your main reason for working?

I've not been at work for 4 weeks now, and the temptation to look for any job is very big. It's getting bigger everyday because when you're not working, you're spending! I could stay at home all day but staying at home everyday will just drive me nuts. The telly can only keep me occupied for so long before I feel dumber and dumber everyday. Same goes for the internet, you can only surf for so long...

So, all the technology cannot keep me indoors. What about outdoors? Ignoring food, you need money to book courts, to meet people at cafes, to get from A to B, to go to the cinemas. Of course, I can start jogging, which gets me from A to B and I do not need to book a jogging track, but that's besides the point (can you jog all day?!!).

With all these activities, and the bills that's going to come, work is a very serious contender for my time because with work, i'll be able to buy the things I want and pay for the bills. That'll leave me with less time with the indoor and outdoor activities that I really like. Is there really no compromise to this?

The reason I'm resisting temptation to get a job, any job, is that I feel this might be the only time in my life I can get to reassess my work life. In that sense, I consider myself very lucky to have this opportunity to look for something I really want to do, to be able to say "Yay! I'm working now!".

Back to the question of why we're doing work.. is it really for the money? During these weeks when I'm not working, I feel it's actually more of the security of the money that's coming in rather than for the money itself. I feel sad and disappointed to use money as my driver for work, yet money problems are very real. You need work to actually tell you that your life is sorted. Does this feel wrong to you? Work so that you can live?

I want to live and make work work for me, let work be part of my life and not that which drives my life. I'm still on the path of discovery. I hope you'll get your chance to discover your own path as well, the true path. Sometimes, it's just a case of creating your own chances... ;) Good luck to both of us!

Categories:

3 Comments:

Blogger JARJAR said...

Life is above balance. I work so that I could do the things I want to do when during non working hours. That's a phrase that is very popular in my company, 'we need to keep our day job to realise our dream'. I think my 44 hours per week sold at a very good price :).

Saturday, 22 April, 2006  
Blogger Shang Lee said...

Did your company popularise that phrase? or is it said among fellow collegues?

Sunday, 23 April, 2006  
Blogger JARJAR said...

It is said among ourselves :p

Sunday, 23 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home